Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

monkey muffins.

I know what you're thinking.

bananas

Banana bread, right? The perfect solution for overripe bananas.

I couldn't agree more. I love a good ol' wholesome banana bread. But this time I wanted to try something new. My bestie Sarah showed me this recipe on Sunday and I had to try it. The shining stars of these muffins are:

  1. Bananas
  2. Peanut Butter
  3. Chocolate Chips

Raise your hand if you can think of a better trio to cram into a little muffin...

Yeah.

That's what I thought.

mini-chocolate-chips

Mmmm... so delectable. These muffins are not messin' around. They are deceptively rich, so have a glass of milk handy. It's so worth it.

monkey-muffin-batter

Monkey Muffins (from Taste of Home)

Prep Time: 20 min.  Bake Time: 15 min./batch (or 20 min. for regular-sized muffins)


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the bananas, peanut butter, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in chips.
  • Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 6 dozen.




monkey-muffin-2

I didn't have a mini muffin pan, so I made regular-sized muffins. I don't mess around with mini muffins. They're just an excuse to eat more. Instead of having just one normal muffin, I'd have to eat about 6 mini muffins. And then I feel bad about myself...

Note: If you make normal muffins, add about 5 minutes to the baking time. No big deal. Made about 2 dozen.



monkey-muffin-1

Hungry now? Mouth watering? I figured. Go make yourself some monkey muffins. You deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. I love how cute/artsy your food pictures are. I took some pics of some recipes I am going to put up....not nearly as cool as your photos lol. These sound delicious! Definitely trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We have a fancy camera that helps make me look like I know what I'm doing, haha. Jared's much better at photography and he's been giving me pointers along the way (how to set up shots, how to edit, etc.), so that's been helpful, but it's all been my own work so far. It's tons of fun!

    And yes, try the muffins, I can't get enough of them!!!

    ReplyDelete